"To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing; to lose the life you have, for greater life; to leave the friends you loved, for greater loving; to find a land more kind than home, more large than earth"
Thomas Wolfe

Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'm legal

I got my cedula last week. I am a legal resident of Uruguay at last. In reality this hasn't changed much regarding daily life, but it is a milestone. I can flash that thing if I have to. Here, you are asked for this document constantly, but for extranjero like me, you can just say that you don't have one. Clerks and officials alike are stumped. They just don't know what to do, so they let you do whatever it is you're doing anyway; using a credit card or signing for something. Now, I will have the option to show my new card or fall back on "sorry, I don't have one".
It's been cold and rainy lately and last night didn't dissapoint. We had some friends over anyway.
Our fireplace is working well and often these days and sometimes we cook in it. Our friends came; Claudia with her children, also Mono and son. We made two pizzas from scratch (in the oven with a great pizza 'stone'), chorizos and a colita de cuadril in the fireplace. Janine had made some awesome chocolate chip cookies to seal our fate. Our house is alcohol free for a couple of months now, so many of our friends are working on this issue. The parties are just as good, better if you ask me. We lucked into something unusual for Mvd.; a high quality flower that was a delight. We cooked, ate, talked, ate some more. It was as good as it gets.
I have made some progress with my technology problems. I have a new phone, but no camera. I am still weighing my options, but a phone/camera just won't do for my needs.
The internet is working again at home and I
finally removed and reinstalled Nero and can successfully burn the movies I've been downloading. I'm loving it.
Bye for now.

CORRECTION: A good site to get news and information on Uruguay is called 'Small State'. However the address is http://benjamingedan.blogspot.com/. I guess Small State at blogspot was taken. Sorry for the error, but please visit the site when you can.
JD

2 comments:

  1. Cool, congrats on becoming legal. I bet it was a lot easier for you than it was for Janine in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for recommending Small State to your readers, and for your interesting question about the amnesty issue. Your comments, questions and photographs are always welcome.

    Your celebratory menu sounded very Uruguayan and delicious. I've missed Uruguayan food since returning to the U.S., but fortunately, some friends from Argentina invite me to asados now and again. Today, they came up with some chorizo and chimichurri!

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete