"To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing; to lose the life you have, for greater life; to leave the friends you loved, for greater loving; to find a land more kind than home, more large than earth"
Thomas Wolfe

Saturday, April 10, 2010

American visitors, look out!


I had made some contact with an American couple toying with the idea of Uruguay as a retirement spot. I like to check out Expat Blogs, sometimes even throwing in a comment or two.  When I heard they were coming at the end of March, I offered to show them around a bit.
We drove out east to see Casapueblo in Punta Baillena, Punta del Este glamor and the famous Playa Brava fingers sculpture (above). I was trying to get a shot of our guests, but this adorable tourist from England kept getting in the frame. 
We also went to check out a gated community development marketed toward expats that they found on the internet. Spectacular views, some pretty nice homes under construction near Pan de Azucar. The developer has promised golf membership in a ritzy Pt. del Este club, a Healing Center and a Heliport to justify the hefty price tag. $250-$400,000 USD with some financing if you pony up now. The area is beautiful, quite near beautiful Piripolis beaches and just an hour and a half from Montevideo, but I'd think twice about throwing in with this guy. Our new friends want to be here for (our) winter to escape Atlanta's summer heat. This part of Uruguay will be cold, windy and almost deserted that time of year. Plus I wouldn't be so sure the developer can make good on all promised.
Where's the heliport?

I think they are enjoying the trip and are starting to appreciate Uruguay. However, like many of their countrymen with the nerve to venture out into the world, they are trying to force their square peg into this round hole and wondering why it doesn't fit. I don't think they'll be back, there's a lot of world to search for a place that really speaks to them. Good Luck on the quest and thanks for the visit.

3 comments:

  1. I saw that development on the internet too...glad to hear your comments and see the photos of the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RB-
    The name is Sugar Loaf and the guy's name is David James. Is it the same one that you found?
    Spectacular views and if finished well could be a nice place, so close to Piriapolis and PDE, but they are steep for what I saw being built. I think most American or European investors would want more for that kind of money.
    The visitors were using a Uruguay guide from International Living. I plan to read it (they left it with me) and give a review.
    Thanks for reading. Hi to the fam.
    JD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sugar Loaf. I subscribe to International Living "postcards" --a free online magazine -- mostly it is shameless marketing but fun for fantasizing...
    I love checking your blog and keeping up to date on your doings!

    ReplyDelete