"To lose the earth you know, for greater knowing; to lose the life you have, for greater life; to leave the friends you loved, for greater loving; to find a land more kind than home, more large than earth"
Thomas Wolfe

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Our House

I am trying to scrape my roof. 
Most roofs here are flat and usually have a roll type membrane on top. The membrane can cover or fix just about any roof. Most of the estimates we got for this work include adding the membrane. 
We've got whats called 'chapa'. The term used for all sheet metals.
Ours is a scalloped, aluminum panel that has been sprayed with a polyurethane foam insulation. On top is a tar-type coating topped with gritty pebbles. Perhaps 20 years of neglect and the valleys of the roof panels are full of leaves, dirt, sticks. Plants are growing, moss is everywhere

I never had a look at the roof when we bought the house. There wasn't really any access at the time and it was really undervalued. 

Estimates have been rising with each visiting contractor. What started at $10,000 (about U$500) appears to be heading north of $35,000. 
None of that matters now. 
I've started the cleaning myself. The tiny bald patch is what I managed the first two visits. Whoopee!  
At this rate I'll still be scraping and hauling away flakes of foam, dirt and moss until August. This is only about 5 bags worth. OMG.
It is seriously one of the 
hardest jobs I can remember.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment